Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Followership: Discipleship #1

Yeah, I know, followership isn't a word...but I like it anyway. In our culture today we don't have very many working ideals of what discipleship/apprenticeship is, so I created a word: followership (Just for clarity, I'm not sure I created it, but I don't remember hearing it before). From the time we're small we play a games like follow the leader and Simon says. These teach us to listen closely, to watch closely, to follow what we're being told and shown. This is how many of us work best. Tell me what to do and I may be able to get it right. Show me what to do and I'm much more likely to do what you intended. We are wired that way.

So when it comes to following in an organization, I'm going to do what my examples are doing. This often happens unintentionally. If the leader shows up to meetings 5 minutes late to meetings, employees eventually show up 5 minutes late too. Culture is created by followership. What we see people do makes more of an impact that what they say.

It works the same way in faith. If all of my examples of what a "Christian" looks like is just showing up on Sunday mornings or being a "nice person" then that is what I will assume Christian faith looks like. But Jesus called us to be disciples and to make disciples. That is something entirely different. We must look like Christ. We must act like Christ. We must proclaim the good news like Christ. We must have others that we are bringing along on this journey with us. As we follow him, others follow us. That is followership. That is what we're called to as we daily take up our cross.

I'm going to start posting articles by others on this subject of following of discipleship. I'm still learning and it's always good to look at what others are learning on their journey too.


"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." Colossians 2:6-7 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment

The summer of recovery and difficulty

The last year and a half have been in a word; hard. The pandemic has left us disconnected, grieving, uneasy, fractured, and wondering what i...