Wednesday, May 01, 2013

From Sea to Summit: Part 3- Consistency

In the first part of my series I described 3 different elements to my training; P90x, Strength Training, and running. Today, let's look at the P90x element and what it brings to the table of fitness.

Let me get one thing off my chest- I don't really like working out at home.  I see my home, especially my living room as a place of relaxation and escape. On the other hand it is amazing the programs that are available to do in your home with out a gym membership and with a minimal amount of equipment.  P90x is no magic formula or some exemplary workout program to be haled above all others...but if you stick with it you will see results.

The key is consistency.

So we created a schedule that works for our lifestyle around the program that P90x offers.  For us 7 days a week just isn't practical (even if they give you one night off a week).  What we needed was something for Sunday through Thursday, thus giving us a "weekend off" from the program.  The good part is this gives you time for recovery.

Every night our goal is to put our kids to bed between 7:30 & 8 pm. We then go change clothes and begin to take out equipment. I'm convinced that if we turn on the TV, computer, or anything else during this time it will keep us from the desire to workout. As I mentioned in my previous post it also helps to have people showing up at this time to join you and keep you accountable.

Now I could go into great detail as to how we use the P90x but let me give you the abbreviated version and if you want more just message me and I'll share more.

The simple way to look at it is we pulled Yoga and Stretching from their program in order to fit it into 5 days.  So whether you are doing the lean routine or the regular you can make it into those 5 days.  If you can't on one day or if you are sore over the weekend the Yoga and Stretch videos are great supplements for tired and achy muscles. If you miss a night, don't try to make it up, just move on to the next workout.  It's likely you'll miss one nearly every week & it will almost never be the same one that you miss.

Let me say the key again: consistency. You have to keep up with it. It's like eating your vegetables, even when you don't want to, do it anyway.  It's like cleaning, if you don't do it often enough, it is much more painful. If you allow yourself a night off because you don't "feel like it", then it will be easy to miss many nights.

Keep after it. Do it. Don't give up. Keep going. Be consistent!
P90x Schedules

No comments:

Post a Comment

The summer of recovery and difficulty

The last year and a half have been in a word; hard. The pandemic has left us disconnected, grieving, uneasy, fractured, and wondering what i...