Tuesday, April 30, 2013

From Sea Level to 14,508 ft: Part 2- Community

I have heard many people tell me that they have started training and after a week or two fail to follow through with their plans. So before I get into the specifics of my training, I'm going to let you in to my secret to training: Community.

You need friends. You can't do it alone.  You'll make it for a time, but without sharing in it with others you will fail most of the time. We need people, we need each other, we need accountability.

Megan (my wife) and I started P90x together last year about this time. Now I can be a bit of a gym rat, but not her.  She hates the gym.  So Megan really needed something at home, and wanted to do it with someone.  We had heard good things about P90x and she seemed excited about it. We found it from someone locally who bought it and said it "looked hard" so he never tried it.  Score- bought it for half price!

When I knew I needed to prepare for the Mt. Whitney trip I started asking my friends who would be willing to drive out there with me.  I had two friends commit to going (community) on the trip.  One is a firefighter and he started Crossfit. The other one has a desk job and knew he had work to do on the fitness level.  He and his wife started coming over to our house Sunday though Thursday nights at 8:30 for P90x.  This allowed Megan and I to put the kids to bed and then get ready to work out.  The bonus was, they knew we were expecting them. Our bonus was, we were expecting them.  So at least 4 nights of the week we were working out together in our living room (community).

Megan started running last year as well, and signed up for a half-marathon back in March.  Again she inspired me to join her in running (even duping me into running a 12 miler with her).  We ran the half-marathon together with a couple of other friends (community).

Are you getting the picture yet?  I would have been in OK shape doing my 3 days a week in the gym by my self.  But by adding P90x with friends, and running with my wife, it took my fitness to a whole new level.

We need people in our lives. We need close community. You can't do it without them. With whom are you sharing your workouts or runs? Do you realized your need for people in your life?  Who are you sharing life with today or this week?



I'm thankful for those who shared the journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The summer of recovery and difficulty

The last year and a half have been in a word; hard. The pandemic has left us disconnected, grieving, uneasy, fractured, and wondering what i...