Thursday, April 04, 2013

Christian or Disciple: whats the difference?

We have had the pleasure of spending each week in the Sermon on the Mount for the last few months. I'm sure we could spend a lot more time, but it was enjoyable to go through it all, bit by bit, piece by piece.

I'm left with a nagging question though. Why don't Christian adhere more closely to the kind of life described by Jesus in what may be the most important sermon ever given? 

Today's Christianity seems like a muddled mess of what Jesus intended it to be when he was here on the earth. Gandhi is famously quoted as saying, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Ouch. That hurts. That should hurt for all who associate themselves with the bride of Christ, his church.

So it leaves me wondering, why do some choose a sort of nominal Christianity, while others choose to become Christ followers or disciples? I suppose it is a matter of ease and comfort. It's not easy to take up your cross daily, or to live as salt & light, or to love your neighbor, much less your enemy.

Perhaps there are no words spoken by Jesus that haunt me more as someone who calls on the name of the Lord.

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’  Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’" Matthew 7:21-23

Are you religious? A Christian? A Disciple? I pray that he may say to me one day: "I know you, come close to me faithful child." 

Living Jesus Sermon Series

No comments:

Post a Comment

The summer of recovery and difficulty

The last year and a half have been in a word; hard. The pandemic has left us disconnected, grieving, uneasy, fractured, and wondering what i...