Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mt. Whitney & Discipline

I'm currently 7 days away from leaving on my trip to climb Mt. Whitney (14,500 ft.) in CA. There has been much sweat, work, gear, time, and energy put into this trip. Now that the hike is within sight I can begin to look back and evaluate what brought me here.

It all started with an add in Backpacker Magazine and an essay. After being "chosen" (I don't think they denied anyone), I picked the date and put down the deposit. I knew that I had much work to do physically, fund raising, convincing some friends to travel with me, and gear purchasing/collecting.

I have never had to raise $4,000 before.  This may have been the most daunting of the challenges: I hate asking for money!  Be that as it may, God blessed the efforts and money began coming in for me.  I'm not sure if people wanted to sponsor me, donate to a great cause (Big City Mountaineers) or get a tax write off :), but regardless they donated and for that I am thankful.

Next I had to convince a couple of friends to travel out there and back with me.  Yes I could have flown or driven on my own, but if there is one think I have learned; adventures are best experienced with friends.  I am thankful that two great friend decided to embark on this adventure. Their friendship and time together there and back, will make this adventure all the more memorable.

Gear was next on my list...I'm thankful for the grace my wife has shown as I have over spent my budget.  I hope and pray that we will have many adventures with our children in the outdoors and my skills and gear acquired on this trip will make those adventures even more grand.

Last but not least the Physical training...This is what I really want to talk about over the next few posts. Training is tough.  Sometimes it is enjoyable.  Sometimes it isn't.  But like any good discipline, you have to do it when you enjoy it and when you don't.  More on this at a later time, but discipline is the key. 

My friends the Rossers put this in their message as they supported me for this trip: " How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the messenger who brings good news, the good news of peace and salvation, the news that the God of Israel reigns!" Isaiah 52:7

BTW- you can still help teens by donating to the cause: Summit for Someone  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The summer of recovery and difficulty

The last year and a half have been in a word; hard. The pandemic has left us disconnected, grieving, uneasy, fractured, and wondering what i...