Monday, May 27, 2013

Mt. Whitney Adventure Part 4: Preparation & The Summit

What most people, me included until a couple of years ago, don't realize there are multiple trails to the peak. The main trail know as the "Mt Whitney trail" is an 11 mile (each direction) strenuous but non-technical trail. There are other routes however and the Mountaineers Route was the one picked for our teams.  This trail unlike most of the other mountain trails or peaks that I have hiked, requires snow, crampon, ice axe, harnesses, ropes, and at certain times of the year an ascender along with some ice work.  This is actually one of the reasons I wanted on this trip, I knew I would gain some valuable skills and experience.

After we reached high camp on the second day and had some time to unwind a bit, we began our summit training.  This included work with the ice crampons, ice axes and harnesses.  We learned walking techniques and how to use the ice axe.  After some brief explanation we had to demonstrate and work on our "self-arrest" techniques.  It was fun to get in the snow a bit and have a little idea of what the next day's requirements would be.

We woke up early the next morning around 3 am. I was still getting my clothing layers on when I heard Tristan (one of the guide) ask what I wanted for a warm drink that morning. Feeling completely spoiled by someone else making my coffee, I packed up and prepared for the day ahead. Obviously they wanted to get an early start, knowing that a previous group had taken over 14 hours to complete their day.

Tammy woke up not feeling well and it was quickly determined that she needed to stay behind at high camp with Chad. Now 2 of the crew would not make the summit that day and we hadn't even left camp yet. We started off into the snow and hiked for around 20 minutes. I was feeling pretty good, no real sign of altitude sickness or anything. We made a stop and everyone put on their ice crampons and began to be attached to the rope and our group. My group was lead by Tristan and included Chris and Wes. Our first obstacle is known as "the wall" which we handled with no problem, and proceeded on to just above Iceberg Lake.

















Next up was the snow and ice gully, which is about 1300 vertical feet at about 45 decrees. As we mad our way slowly up this grate, Chris began to get sicker and sicker.  Tristan yelled up to Forest, who was guiding the 2nd group, the one closest to us, to stop at the notch and wait for us.  We made it up about 2/3 of the way and Chris could go no further.  He had spent too much energy trying to overcome his sickness and if he continued it would be a difficult descent.



We got him situated and took off our crampons. Tristan lead Wes and I up to group 2 who were patently waiting for us at the notch.  We joined their line and turned to stare at the final approach, a class 3 section of rock just below the summit.  This was no doubt my favorite part, and I couldn't help but to joke and encourage a couple of the team who were scared of heights.



And then we we greeted at the top...and wow what a view.  This one obviously had a little more meaning than some of the rest but it really was a spectacular and beautiful view. We had made it. There were hugs, phone calls and lots of pictures.  I am so thankful for all who helped me to get there in so many ways.  But that isn't the end of the story...we still had to get down!



 The final ascent...that's me on the very bottom of the rope, last on the line.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The summer of recovery and difficulty

The last year and a half have been in a word; hard. The pandemic has left us disconnected, grieving, uneasy, fractured, and wondering what i...