Monday, January 28, 2013

Contentment

A familiar conversation popped up over the last couple of weeks. Contentment. The concept of contentment seems to be lost in today's American society. No matter how much we have we always want more. In a time and culture that presumably have more "stuff" than any other time in history, we are left with an emptiness that we think can only be filled with "more".

Paul has an interesting take on what life looks like to be hungry, needy, thrown in jail, and still content.

"I am not saying this because I have am in need. I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances, whether meager or bountiful, where I find myself. I know how to survive in tight situations, and I know how to enjoy having plenty. In fact, I have learned how to face any circumstances: fed or hungry, with or without. I can be content in any and every situation through the One who is my power and strength." Philippians 4:11-13 (The Voice)

Can you be content no matter how much or how little you have? Or will you constantly want more, never really knowing satisfaction? When will we learn that "stuff" will never fill that void? That void that we feel of wanting more is only filled by one thing or more specifically by The One. We should want more of Him. We should desire more of the Grace of Jesus. We should be desperate for the Holy Spirit. When we desire relationship with Him more than anything else this world has to offer, then we find contentment. It is in Him that we find "power and strength" not for our glory, but for His!

Where have you searched for contentment? How did it leave you? How can you turn that desire for more towards your Heavenly Father?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The summer of recovery and difficulty

The last year and a half have been in a word; hard. The pandemic has left us disconnected, grieving, uneasy, fractured, and wondering what i...