Thursday, January 24, 2013

Discipline: it hurts

Discipline is not everyone's favorite word. For most it seems to conjure up painful memories and thoughts. We see discipline as a negative word, associated with following the rules.

But there is another way to define discipline: activity, exercise or regimen that develops or improves a skill; training. Training, now there's another word that gets a bad wrap regularly. Here's what I know, I may not like discipline or training but that doesn't mean it isn't good for me.

As I prepare to go climb Mt. Whitney in April my physical preparations have begun. It starts out small and will slowly intensify over the next 3 months. This week I started P90X in the evenings. The first night hurt, and so did the second. But although I'm sore today- it's already better than the first day. And that is the way discipline works. When I train my body it goes from painful, to it hurts good, to enjoyable even if it hurts.

Isn't that the way it works spiritually too? I have struggled the last couple of months to spend regular time in The Word and in prayer. But starting Monday, sitting down on my couch in my office I made my self read through the prayer list and read 2 chapters from Matthew. And then I did it the next day. Now today, I knew I was missing something, I hadn't sat down to read & pray.

Discipline the body. Discipline the spirit. How is God showing you the meaning of discipline?


No comments:

Post a Comment

The summer of recovery and difficulty

The last year and a half have been in a word; hard. The pandemic has left us disconnected, grieving, uneasy, fractured, and wondering what i...